Do Medical Assistant Certification Credits Transfer?
Many students have this question while they train at facilities to get their certifications. However, in order to answer it, we need to briefly introduce Medical Assistants and highlight the importance of the MA certification. Moreover, we will define what ” Academic Credit Transfer” mean and then find out if the academic credit transfers or not while demonstrating the importance of the MA certificate.
Firstly, Who Are Medical Assistants?
Medical Assistants are eligible to work in physicians’ offices, clinics, or other healthcare facilities. They are responsible for performing physician support services that help ensure medical facilities run smoothly. Certified Medical Assistants may work in a clerical, administrative or clinical capacity, and they may even be asked to perform more specialized tasks.
Secondly, What Is the Importance of the MA Certification?
Although Medical Assistants can work without being certified, employers are usually looking for skilled and outstanding candidates. Getting certification through authenticated training centers proves to employers, coworkers and patients that this Medical Assistant has aced the field, and that ,now, they have the knowledge, techniques and skills necessary to assist a premium service.
How to Get MA Certificate?
In order to be eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant exam, the student must complete a formal medical assisting program from a school that has received accreditation from either the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
Thirdly, What Is an Academic Credits Transfer?
Credit Transfer is the recognition of academic credits gained through formal study at Registered Training Organizations, professional bodies or enterprises and universities. Credit Transfer is credit given based on documentary evidence of statement of attainment/qualifications.
There are two types of Credit Transfer:
- External Credit: which applies if you completed eligible units of study at another tertiary institution or training organization.
2. Internal Credit: which is available if you previously completed units of study at the same institution as part of a different course.
Finally, Does Academic Credits Transfer?
Applicants applying for an internal credit may be eligible for a reduction in the course fees based upon the regulations and the date of completing any previous courses; however, external credits do not transfer. The MA Certificate is considered as an external credit; therefore, its credit does not transfer.
Medical Assistant jobs have a great outlook in the coming years. In fact, it is one of the top 20 fastest-growing occupations according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Obtaining a certificate increases the student chances of employment at large facilities, which means better environment, experience and benefits as well as a variety of patients and situations, too.
Becoming a certified Medical Assistant does not take long, and the job is rewarding in several ways. Students might be interested in a management job, a particular area of medicine or even teaching.
What Benefits Do Students Get When They Roll in Medical Assisting Certificate Program?
- Medical Assistants can Immediately start their career; they can notably finish their certificate program in a short period of time as some training centers offer a less than a year program.
- It boosts confidence; as discussed before, Medical Assistants need to study for and pass the Certified Medical Assistant Exam. This license proves that the student is a professional in their field, and that builds confidence. MAs will also be working with other licensed professionals, so everyone around has the same knowledge base.
- Medical Assisting is a highly demanded field; it is not always easy to get a job, but when it is for Medical Assistants, they are in demand. The profession is expected to grow 29% by 2026, much faster than average growth rates.
- It pays great and it is stable; the pay scale for a Medical Assistant is currently $32,946 and ranges between $30,377 and $35,570. Also, The great demand for Medical Assistants means the turnover rate is low, and the industry is largely protected from layoffs even when the economy is bad.
- It is fulfilling; many jobs do not provide an opportunity to make a positive difference in people’s lives, but Medical Assistants can go home at the end of the day knowing they did. It is a meaningful work!
- Some people find lifelong careers as Medical Assistants, and others use the certification as a step in a longer career path. With exposure to several fields of healthcare, students might discover a related interest or an opportunity to pursue a different job. For example, careers in nursing, medical coding and allied health managementmay be of interest to Medical Assistants one day.
- Certified Medical Assistants receive broader education; their responsibilities include clinical duties like drawing blood and performing basic lab tests as well as administrative duties such as updating patient records, billing and scheduling. Certified MAs are surely prepared to work in all of these evolving clinical and administrative areas.
As baby boomers get older, they need more preventive medical services. We are talking about 76.4 million people or almost one-third of the U.S. population. Almost all of them will be involved in the healthcare system in the upcoming years and especially this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Medical Assistants are always going to be an important part of the healthcare sector, and Certified MAs are highly needed to get the professional job done.